6 January 2015

Hotel review: The Savoy Hotel, Copenhagen

In my second hotel review, I take aim at The Savoy Hotel in Copenhagen, ideally positioned on the main city street of Vesterbrogade.

Source: http://copenhagencitybreaks.com
The Savoy Hotel, Copenhagen. Source: http://copenhagencitybreaks.com

The good:
  • Location right in the city centre: The hotel is located on, the busy street in Copenhagen. It is surrounded by restaurants and shops, and is a short walk from both the central railway station and the shopping district in Copenhagen. This made it incredibly easy to find from the station and simplified our trips in and out of Copenhagen.
  • The buffet breakfast was tasty: There was slightly less variety in the buffet breakfast in The Savoy compared to the Best Western, but the food was tasty and fresh. There was a good selection of breads cheeses, meats, juices, tea, coffee and fruit available, and I enjoyed more than a few Danish pastries to sweeten the deal.

  • Staff were friendly: Staff made the effort to smile and greet us every time we entered and left the building, which was a nice touch.

  • Luggage rooms were locked: Compared to the Best Western which used an unlocked baggage room opened by a switch at reception, The Savoy's room was opened with a key. This made me feel much safer when leaving my luggage there after checking out. Check out is at 11am.  
The not so good
  • Rooms were quite small: The rooms were significantly smaller than the rooms at The Best Western. Between me and my friend, there was little room to walk around and the bathroom door, when opened, touched the side of my bed. This is apparently quite the norm in Copenhagen due to the limited space, but it isn't a good feeling for a guest to have.

  • Interiors quite drab: The rooms were quite monochrome and dull in colour, which can turn some people off. For me, it wasn't a big deal as I just wanted somewhere to sleep but I did notice it. Copenhagen as a city is quite bland looking apart from the Nyhavn harbour and some areas of the city so I guess it is consistent to say the least.
Other comments:
  • Patrons are of an older demographic: The hotel had an older demographic compared to The Best Western, which catered to a broad range of people. I felt close to the youngest person there in a place full of middle-aged and older tourists. I wasn't uncomfortable or anything, but it does have an impact on the atmosphere. I didn't mind as I barely spent anytime in the hotel or mingling with guests.
Overall:

The Savoy Hotel
Vesterbrogade 34, Copenhagen
00 45 33 26 75 00

Location: 5/5
Facilities/Security: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 4/5
Check in/check out: 5/5
Price: 3.5/5
Overall: 4.25/5

In summary: For an ideally located hotel with good, secure service and friendly staff, you might want to try The Savoy Hotel. Just be aware that the space in the rooms isn't the biggest and the rooms won't set your visual taste buds alight.

2 comments:

  1. You do not really sound that satisfied by the Savoy. Did you feel like the food was good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it reads like I wasn't satisfied by the Savoy, but looking at the numbers it came out higher than The Best Western. The food was good - there was a smaller selection than TBW - but it was tasty. And Danish pastries are always a plus!

    ReplyDelete