6 January 2015

Why I started this blog



Let me tell you all a story: a story of hope, of inspiration, of doing what you believe in. Students, recent graduates, job seekers and anyone 'stuck in a rut' should take note.

Unbeknownst to many people, I'd been doing it tough for a while.

In late March this year, I found myself having to leave a job and a team I absolutely adored, with no prospects waiting for me in the wings.

April comes. After applying for both entry level and graduate roles, things seemed to be on the upswing when I received offers for two other jobs at the same salary level within a month. For a variety of reasons but mostly because the roles weren't in line with my career objectives, I ended up turning both of these roles down.

It's now May. I made it to the final rounds of two other graduate programs. Despite interviewing impressively and making it to the fifth stage of these programs, I was told other candidates more effectively satisfied the selection criteria (sometimes just slightly better on 1 interview question of 10) and I was again left with nothing.

We're halfway through the year now. I increased my efforts. I found myself with 5 interviews in 2 weeks, with 3 of these interviews falling within 24 hours of each other. Heartbreakingly I was again told others had more skills/experience and was shown the door, despite being told I interviewed really well and should have been applying for roles "one to two levels above" the one I did not get.

This was the end of June now. After 3 months of unemployment and being forced onto welfare payments, I was a shadow of my former self. I almost lost all hope and motivation to keep going. I had finished university with a generic Bachelor of Commerce two years prior, wasn't seeing my friends and family enough, had way too much time on my hands, felt the immense burden of an unbelievably tough Australian economy, and was silently going insane with despair. My self-worth plummets and I became depressed. I did wonder on many an occasion if I would ever work again.

July hits. Happy New Financial Year! My tax refund and some winnings from a competition I strangely won online keep me going. The last graduate program I have left comes back to me after 2 months, saying my application has progressed through to video interview stage. I make it to the Assessment Centre, getting up at 5am to travel three hours to the other side of Melbourne. I surprise myself by making it to the final round, where I have to give a 10 minute presentation and complete a 40 minute behavioural interview with two senior managers.

After two more agonising weeks of waiting, three years of applying for graduate programs, turning down three roles and after four and a half months of soul-destroying unemployment, I had been offered a graduate place from a pool of 1000+ applicants. A career in an exciting, multinational organisation with real opportunities to travel and grow, and forge the career I've always dreamed of.

TLDR/Moral of the story: For all students and graduates out there looking (or who knows someone looking) for work or simply coming up against a wall in your life, take my advice when I say "Don't give up". You need to fight and believe in yourself and the career you want because if you don't, then why would a prospective employer? I truly learned that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel, but only for those who create a path for it. Against all the odds and despite others telling me I was dumb/silly/stupid for turning down opportunities, I have done it.

After being prepared to keep this silent pain to myself, I am so glad I can share a happy ending to the story.

Starting February next year, I'm off to new adventures, fresh challenges and sure-to-be-amazing colleagues, but for now I have a hankering to travel and a vast, beckoning world awaiting me. Who knows where I'll go?

IMG_6194




No comments:

Post a Comment